Wednesday, March 21

Who Else Knows Food Better Than The Locals???

Note: Click here for update on this tag






I decided to start a tag for once instead of always being tagged by ppl...so yes I start one that brings me closer to what I believe in...FOOD....and what better way to start and write about the top 5 places to eat at!!! like come on men after all who knows food better than the locals right??? and it would be nice to see what other ppl think of so WE CAN ALL GO AND TRY IT OURSELVES!!!! Wouldn't it be better trusting the locals than what you read in magazines/newspaper? So before starting on me top 5's, I would like to specially tag my dear cousin velverse (first time I tag you ok..so give face sikit yar) and Mary (I really do want to know what is good in Melbourne!!)..and please do write the place name and why it is good yar!!! TQ TQ























Sydney Madang comes in at number 5...located in a tiny little street just off Pitt Street/Liverpool Street, it is one of those cute korean hideaway shop...very traditional...side dishes is good (at times..because there are times when they decide to go all out vegetarian)..the best food here for me is still the bu dae ji gae like who can resist nice noodle with cheese on top??? that is like ze best...yummm..the osam dokbul go gi is not too bad either..just be sure to go eat that with someone who can eat spicy food because is best eaten spicy....the most authentic korean food I have found OUTSIDE OF KOREA!! definately worth going to...one bad point though it gets pretty packed after 6.30pm and they don't take bookings for dinner on friday and saturday nights...

















Number 4 on my list would be the Sydney Fish Market. Maybe most ppl would put this higher...but it doesn't go too high for me because I'm not that greatly a fan of seafood...give me red meat anytime...the fish market is located at Pyrmont right by the bay...surrounding is just nice...and the seafood?? plenty!! so much fresh food..and beat this IT DOESN'T STINK!! usually when I go there I must eat the oyster mornay!! I know some ppl say fresh oyster is the best...but I still think fresh oyster top with bechamel and cheese sauce is HEAVEN!!!! I can eat a half dozen of this and be satisfied!!! if you are going in a big group go get the seafood platter..since everything is in it...and dun forget to get the sashimi too!!! mmmmmmm























I'm freaking hell in love with Ichi Ban Boshi...so it gets my number 3...cheap, good and I always come out full....they have a few chains but I usually patronize the one in the city (at the Galleria opposite Kinokuniya) and at Bondi Junction (on Oxford Street)....I think the best to go would be the city because they serve the yummy ice green tea cuppocino....however the tonkatsu ramen here always get sold out so fast...if you want the tonkatsu ramen then go to Bondi Junction because is easier to get it there...and what is tonkatsu ramen? yes is their specialty!!! the one they only make 15 bowls a day...the goodness of meat broth all in one..it is like the best!!! followed closely by the hiyashi chuka (they only serve this during summer so yes better go on there quick now ppl is going to be winter soon!)but seriusly the rest of the food is very very yummy too!!




















My number 2 goes to Hurricane Grill located at Bondi Beach....nothing beats a nice meaty dinner followed by a nice walk at the beach (prefabally with a cute guy...so that is the part I'm trying to work on)...this is as australian as I can get ok...they really do sell the best ribs here....nice, juicy, tender, succulent and HUGE!!!! The pork ribs are the best..the lamb ribs are not too bad but pork beats lamb anytime...and their chicken caesar salad is really good too (the nice cheese, bacon and anchovies)..and the day nicole says a salad is yummy SHE REALLY MEANS IT!!!!!!And if you do want to come here for dinner on Friday or Saturday night MAKE A BOOKING A WEEK AHEAD!!


















But my fav place and my number one must definately go to Suminoya. yes is expensive and you have to cook the food yourself and worse they give you only 2 hours to eat! but is all you can eat!! and the food is that great!! I'm telling you they make the best yukke (raw beef with raw egg on top...heavenly!! this is what we order a lot of)...the BBQ itself is quite good because they do marinade the food very well....and do order the Jako rice when you are there because it is yummy rice with loads of bonita shavings in it....if possible do leave some stomach for their dessert (icecream or the coffee jelly)..and most importantly come here after fasting for one whole day ok?? more worth while!!! Suminoya is located on a street called Hosking Place (off Castlereagh Street near Martin Place)....BOOKING IS ESSENTIAL!

22 comments:

Olivia said...

Ah, so you started it. Thanks, it's been fun!
I haven't had Korean food in ages...

Nicole Tan said...

Yeah I love to eat so much..and I like shortcuts!! so haha have more ppl do tag then when I go visit the places I straight jump into taxi and go to the restaurants!!!!

eastcoastlife said...

The next time I go Sydney, I'm gonna check these places out. If no good, you compensate by making me a dinner. OK? hehehe...

Thanks for the recommendations lah!

Nicole Tan said...

eastcoastlife: sure no probs...just ask me for what food to eat me gurantee you that you owuld be asking for more..hehe

Pandabonium said...

So I have you to blame, uh, I mean thank, for being tagged. It was fun anyway.

We were in Sydney a long time ago (1991) and had a great time. Hope we can visit again some day. So many destinations, so little money.

You have a cute dog. We have a doggy we call "Momo" (peach). She sometime writes posts for my blog.

Take care.

Nicole Tan said...

me?? innocent!!!! but atleast you had fun doing the tag....come back to sydney again...and ps it is not me dog..haha friend dog..but oww so cute...i will come visit your blog like right now

Curiosity.Killer said...

Wow! Thanks for the meme. I would LOVE to go to Australia one day... soon...

Dino aka Katy said...

I have to say I don't think those are places I'd try to much meat and sea food. - the last one reminded me of a dish we have in German - the dish is called Hackepeter - its raw pork mixed with a raw egg, onion, salt and pepper and you eat it on top of bread. One of my favs in the winter but I only eat it in Germany where they slaughter the pigs in the morning and you know its fresh.

Nicole Tan said...

curiosity killer: yes yes come to Sydney!! I'll bring you around

dino aka katy: haha if you read my blog you would know I live on meat!! I'm carnivorous!! haha mmmmm kackepeter sounds yummy!!! and fresh pigs?? owwwwww

Christine said...

Thanks for stopping by my site! I wanted to let you know that Jill posted from Vancouver if you are interested:
http://www.morekissesplease.com/

Cute site. I am going to come back and rummage around a bit more!

Nicole Tan said...

christine: thanks so much for the tip!! and you are most welcomed here! :D

angel said...

oh my goodness those pictures have made my mouth water! this was fun!

Eternally Curious said...

Just thought I'd drop in for a visit and to let you know that your tag has made it to Colorado, USA: http://sotheotherdayiwas.blogspot.com/2007/05/food-fight.html

Thanks! It's been fun!

Nicole Tan said...

angel: wait till you see the updates...my mouth has been watering for the past few weeks non stop

eternally curious: thanks so much..going to go have a look now

TopChamp said...

Hello - sorry I think I missed the point a bit when I posted yesterday. Hopefully I've fixed it now so it's better.

Your places sound lovely but I've never eaten Korean food outside Thailand... (I know it isn't logical, but I only know of one place in Glasgow and it's always mobbed).

Nicole Tan said...

topchamp: dun worry about it...it was and is still good! hmm korean food are everywhere now..yummy!!! you should try go if you can

Mark Base said...

No Fair!

You've got more stuff than we have. And it's warmer.

Unless you like meatballs, keep away from Sweden.

varske said...

Well I always thought Australian food was barbecues, so this is a great eye-opener. It all looks great.

Nicole Tan said...

mark base: i admit we have more food..we are very international around here...and it helps when I LOVE TO EAT! haha i want go sweden..I actually much prefer cold weather to hot!! and meatballs??? ze best!

varske: australian food is mainly BBQ...but thanks to migration we have a whole international selection of it..pheeww not that there is anything wrong with BBQ

Mark Base said...

One of my tags (in Montreal, Canada) has written. But it's in French!

Go here:
http://chroniques-emilie.blogspot.com/2007/05/top-5-strikes-back.html

Thanks for a fun idea.

Kitten said...

Ahhh...seeing that yakiniku brings back lots of happy memories of my time in spent in Japan. The Japanese call it, "Koran Barbecue" and it's probably the most popular food there.

From one foodie to another, thanks for the great tag idea!

:P fuzzbox said...

This is a great tag. I enjoyed doing it and I must say that Chicken Caeser Salad looks amazing.